Subscribe to my mailing list and receive a free copy of Aesop’s Fables on Stage
If you would like to sign up to our mailing list and receive a free copy of Aesop’s Fables on Stage, click here.
Workshop Title: Little Spooks’ Halloween Adventure
Age Group: 4-6 years
Duration: 1.5 hours
Objective: To engage young children in a playful and imaginative exploration of Halloween themes, enhancing their creative expression, social interaction, and basic drama skills in a safe and supportive environment.
Materials: Props (small hats, cloaks, masks), space for movement, soft mats for sitting, visual aids, gentle spooky music.
1. Welcome Circle: Hello Little Spooks! (10 mins)
- Instructions: Gather children in a circle, welcoming them with a gentle spooky song and introducing them to the Halloween theme.
- Suggestions: Use visual aids of friendly ghosts, smiling pumpkins, and gentle witches to create a non-scary Halloween atmosphere.
2. Warm-Up: Wiggly Pumpkins (10 mins)
- Instructions: Engage children in a gentle warm-up where they move like little wiggly pumpkins, slowly growing from a seed.
- Suggestions: Use soft, playful music and guide them with simple, follow-along movements.
3. Storytime: The Friendly Ghost (10 mins)
- Instructions: Share a short, engaging story about a friendly ghost who is looking for friends to play with on Halloween.
- Suggestions: Use expressive storytelling, visual aids, and involve children by asking predictive questions like “What do you think will happen next?”
4. Movement Activity: Ghostly Floats (15 mins)
- Instructions: Children pretend to be friendly ghosts, floating around the space, exploring high and low movements.
- Suggestions: Ensure safety by defining boundaries and encourage them to explore different ways of floating.
5. Creative Play: Pumpkin Faces (15 mins)
- Instructions: Children explore different emotions by making faces like happy, sad, surprised, and sleepy pumpkins.
- Suggestions: Use a mirror for them to see their faces and validate all expressions, linking emotions to the faces they make.
6. Imaginative Play: Witch’s Brew (15 mins)
- Instructions: Set up a pretend play area where children create their own magical brew using imaginary ingredients.
- Suggestions: Provide props like empty pots, spoons, and pretend ingredients (e.g., soft toys, foam shapes) for a tactile experience.
7. Craft Time: My Little Monster (15 mins)
- Instructions: Children create their own little monsters using simple craft materials like paper, glue, and markers.
- Suggestions: Pre-prepare easy-to-use materials and ensure that the activity is supervised and assisted.
8. Parade: Spooky Walk (10 mins)
- Instructions: Children showcase their little monsters, walking in a line around the space, with gentle spooky music playing.
- Suggestions: Applaud each child as they showcase their creation and encourage them to describe their little monsters.
9. Closing Circle: Goodbye Hugs (10 mins)
- Instructions: Gather back in the circle, sharing highlights of the workshop, and saying goodbye to the friendly ghost from the story.
- Suggestions: Use a soft, comforting song for the goodbye and encourage children to express their favorite part of the workshop.
- Ensure that all activities are age-appropriate, non-scary, and focused on exploration and play.
- Maintain a gentle, supportive, and inclusive environment, ensuring that each child is engaged and comfortable.
- Be flexible and attentive to the children’s needs, adapting activities as per their responses and interests.
- Ensure safety and comfort in all physical activities and transitions.
This workshop is designed to be a gentle and playful introduction to Halloween themes for young children, ensuring that their first encounter with drama activities is positive, fun, and supportive. Feel free to adapt and modify as per the specific group and setting. Happy playful spooking!