Skip to content
To develop a unique character answer the following questions and then use the hot seating technique for character exploration.
Details of family:
Where were you born?
Where did you go to school?
Your biggest secret:
What was your ambition (goal) as a child?
Briefly describe one childhood story from your character’s past. This can be happy or sad.
Describe the personality that everyone sees on a daily basis:
For example: friendly, happy, lively, outgoing …
Describe the personality that people see when they get to know you better.
For example: more relaxed, calmer, less nervous …
Make up two personality traits or habits that show something about your character.
For example: a twitch could show that they feel nervous talking about themselves …
What’s your greatest fear?
What are your likes and dislikes?
How does your character stand or sit typically?
Are they comfortable making eye contact?
How do they talk?
For example: do they speak slowly, steady, quickly? Or do they mumble, talk loudly, shout, or talk without expression?
Hot-seat your character.
Now that you have created a character, you should know all about their hopes and dreams and have invented a past and personality for them. Try to make some answers detailed, rather than using one word answers.
• What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
• What’s your greatest dream for the future?
• Can you describe yourself in a sentence?
• What do you do with your spare time?
• Do you find it easy to make friends?
• What’s been your happiest memory so far in your life?
• Would you describe yourself as an opinionated person?
• Do you think you’re easy to get along with?
• What annoys you?
• If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be and why?
• Where do you see yourself in 20 years’ time?
• If you could give someone younger than yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?
• What are you afraid of?
• How do you think you’ve changed over the years?
• Would you say you’re happy with your life as it is?
• What makes you laugh?
• Who’s the most important person in your life?