preparing for your monologue:
- Answer the following questions
- Who is your character speaking to? (themselves, someone else, the mirror, the audience, invisible friends, etc)
- Where is the character? (setting: time, date, place)
- How does your character feel?
- How will you show your character’s emotions in your script? (think about words used, actions, tone of voice, attitude, facial expressions, etc)
- Does your character’s mood change throughout your performance?
- How do you want the audience to respond? (laugh, sadness, curious, thought-provoking, etc)
- How do you want the performance to end? (situation resolved, cliff hanger, happy feelings, complete change from beginning, etc.)
- Write a paragraph about the situation/ event/ character. Be as creative and imaginative as you can be.
You do not need to discuss all of these aspects in your script, but the more information you have the better you will be able to prepare.
- interests / hobbies
- likes and dislikes
Evaluating your performance:
How did you feel before the performance?
How did you feel after the performance?
What can you improve on?
What do you think you did well?